- HIV and AIDS prevention, care and management
- Community resource management for enhancement of livelihoods.
- Family and Consumer research for improvement of wellbeing.
- Youth, ageing and gender and development.
- Programme / Project Management: needs assessments; baseline surveys; design and implementation of interventions; Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Curriculum development
- Professional development to enhance employability and human service
- Reproductive, maternal and child health
- VanLeeuwen, C., Kathuri-Ogola, L., Weeks, L.E., and Kabaria-Muriithi, J., (2018). Getting Ready for Community Practice: An Evidence-Based Preparation Course for Kenyan Practicum Students. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. Vol. 46, No. 3, March 2018 238–251 DOI: 10.1111/fcsr.12248 © 2018 American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Njuguna, C., Ngige, L., Ogola, L., and Wainaina J., (2017). Determinants of Livelihood Outcomes Differentials among Urban Youth in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Research on Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol 7, No 13. ISSN (Paper)2224-5766 ISSN (Online)2225-0484.
- Kathuri-Ogola, L., VanLeeuwen, C., Kabaria-Muriithi, J., & Weeks, L. E. Kieru, J., Ndayala, P. (2015). Supervision challenges encountered during Kenyan university students’ practicum attachment. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(17), 111-117.
- Kathuri-Ogola, L.N., Mugenda, O. and Kerre., F. (2014). Challenges Faced and the Coping Strategies Adopted by Family Caregivers in Dealing with People Living with HIV/AIDS in Thika District, Central Province, Kenya. The International Journal of Humanities and Social Science(IJHSS) 4(6): 184-193. © Center for Promoting Ideas, USA, 2014 (ISSN: 2220-8488 (Print), 2221-0989 (Online)).
- Kathuri-Ogola L.N., Mugenda O. and Kerre, F.P., 2013, Care Provision Challenges and Capacity Enhancement of Family Caregivers Of People Living With HIV And AIDS in Thika District, African Journal of Applied Human Sciences (AJAHS) (ISSN:2070-917X)
- Kathuri-Ogola L.N., Mugenda O. and Kerre, F.P., 2012, The Socio-Demographic Characteristics and Their Effects on the Adaptation Levels of Family Caregivers of PLWHA in Thika District, Kenya, Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and Management Sciences (JETEMS) 3(4):367-374, ISSN:2141-7024
- Attended an International Conference on Education on Re-Engineering Education for Sustainable Development in Nairobi, Kenya at Kenyatta University from 18th to 20th May, 2015
- Attended the Professional development for improved teaching practice seminar in Nairobi, Kenya at Kenyatta University from on from 27th to 29th May, 2013.
- Attended the Violence prevention Capacity Development & Training Programme workshop in South Africa at University of the Witwatersrand from 25th Nov to 6th Dec 2013.
- Attended the school of Applied Human Sciences training on performance contracting at Kenyatta University, Nairobi Kenya on 3rd December, 2012.
- Attended the AAU-EASRN TOT workshop on HIV mainstreaming and integration into curriculum at Kenyatta University, Nairobi Kenya from 25th to 26th September, 2012.
- Attended the Open access and Institutional repository workshop at the Kenya School of Monetary studies in Nairobi, Kenya from 29th to 30th August 2012.
- Attended the social sciences and HIV/AIDS: A Research and Policy International Conference by the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) in Abidjan, Cote de Voire in June 2008.
- Attended Research Methodology Training at the OSSREA research methodology training Institute in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 9th to 20th October, 2006.
- Attended the Towards a political Economy of patients welfare and rights review conference by the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) in Lilongwe, Malawi in March 2005.
- VanLeeuwen, C.A., Kathuri-Ogola, L., Kabaria-Muriithi, J., Weeks, L. E. Enhancing the Learning Experiences of Kenyan University Students during Practicums. Presented at the Canadian Association for Studies in International Development Conference. Ottawa, ON, Canada in June, 2015
- Kathuri-Ogola L, Muriithi J, VanLeeuwen C, and Weeks LW “Challenges Encountered by Field Supervisors of Kenyan University Students’ Undertaking Practicum Attachment” presented at the International Conference on Education on Re-Engineering Education for Sustainable Development at Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya, 18th to 20th May, 2015
- Kathuri-Ogola L, Kabaria-Muriithi J, Ndayala P and Kieru J “From Replication to Analysis: Experiences of the Adoption of Innovative Assessment and Evaluation Strategies by the Department of CRM&E, Kenyatta University ” presented at the Family Science Association conference on Innovative Student Assessment and Evaluation Procedures in Canada at Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, 14th -15th June 2012.
- Kathuri-Ogola L, “Adaptation levels of Family caregivers of people living with HIV and AIDS: A case of Thika Discrict, Kenya” presented at Kenyatta University Postgraduate seminar, held at Kenyatta University Nairobi Kenya, on 18th June 2010.
- Kathuri-Ogola L, Mugenda O and Kerre F.P “Effects of care provision and needs of Family Caregivers of People Living with HIV and AIDS in Kenya” presented at the First Pan-African Family Strengths International Conference in Mombasa, Kenya, 20th -24th July 2010